Friday, October 3, 2008

HOW DO I FEEL?

1st October - It's the day after the citizenship ceremony. Right after the ceremony last night, I was asked to describe my feelings! Actually I had a different feeling after the ceremony. And that feeling still pervades until now. I feel that I’m now an “insider.” Before I felt that I was only an “outsider.” Now I feel I truly belong, no longer just a tolerated or indifferent resident. Though I have been in Australia for twelve years, at times I felt I was looking inside from the outside. Now I am looking outside from the inside.

But that’s enough for the feelings.

We, the new Aussies of last night, were told that we could now vote on elections. We have many privileges, but we were also endowed with some tasks to do. We were asked to participate in nation and people building.

"And every one said: 'Let us rise up and begin a-building...' " (Neh. 2:18).

With community members and friends during the ceremony

Photos by Michael Nguyen.